Workshop Continuing Education
Molecular Virology Workshop
This activity is intended for physicians, virology technicians, technologists, laboratory supervisors, laboratory directors, and other healthcare professionals with an interest in diagnostic molecular biology.
Statement of Need
Laboratory research scientists and clinicians who work in the field of virology need to keep up-to-date in molecular diagnostics, syndromic testing, and in emerging technologies used to diagnose and combat virologic disease.
Educational Activity Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, the participants should be able to:
- Explain the concept of syndromic testing, its clinical implications, and laboratory correlates.
- Describe the available syndromic or multiorganism test panels, including those approved for use, and others planned or of potential value.
- Discuss the performance of available multiorganism panel tests, their interpretation, and pitfalls to their use.
- Develop an increased ability to meet practical challenges faced in clinical molecular virology testing, including aspects of trouble-shooting, test verification, validation, QA, and result interpretation.
In accordance with the ACCME Standards for Commercial Support, The France Foundation (TFF) and the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) require that individuals in a position to control the content of an educational activity disclose all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. TFF and ASM resolve all conflicts of interest to ensure independence, objectivity, balance, and scientific rigor in all their educational programs. Furthermore, TFF and ASM seek to verify that all scientific research referred to, reported, or used in a CME/CE activity conforms to the generally accepted standards of experimental design, data collection, and analysis. TFF and ASM are committed to providing learners with high-quality CME/CE activities that promote improvements in health care and not those of a commercial interest.
This activity is jointly provided by The France Foundation, ASM, and PASCV.
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of The France Foundation, the Pan American Society for Clinical Virology (PASCV), and the American Society for Microbiology. The France Foundation is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Commercial Support Acknowledgment
This activity is partially supported by an educational grant from Roche Diagnostics Corporation.
The France Foundation designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The American Medical Association (AMA) has determined that physicians not licensed in the U.S. who participate in this CME activity are eligible AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Diplomates of the American Board of Medical Microbiology and the American Board of Medical Laboratory Immunology, and Registrants of the National Registry of Certified Microbiologists who are MDs and DOs may earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ toward recertification. All other Diplomates and Registrants may claim P.A.C.E.®, California or Florida credits toward recertification. Each professional should claim credit commensurate with their level of participation in the activity.
The American Society for Microbiology is an approved provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences through the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® program.
P.A.C.E.® must be claimed within 30 days of the meeting.
Florida Board Of Clinical Laboratory Personnel
The American Society for Microbiology is accredited by the Florida Department of Health to offer continuing education for Florida Clinical Laboratory Personnel. All sessions designated for CME credits will also qualify for Florida CE credits toward license renewal.
California Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS)
The American Society for Microbiology is accredited by the California Department of Health Services to offer continuing education for California Clinical Laboratory Scientists. All sessions designated for CME credits will also qualify for California CE credits toward CLS license renewal.
Other CE Licenses
You may obtain a Participation Statement of Credit by completing the activity evaluation. This is a detailed statement that documents your participation in the activity.
The primary purpose of the sessions at CVS is education. Information presented, as well as publications, technologies, products, and/or services discussed, are intended to inform you about the knowledge, techniques, and experiences of professionals who are willing to share such information with colleagues. A diversity of professional opinions exists in the fields discussed at CVS and the views of the CVA faculty are offered solely for educational purposes. Faculty's views neither represent those of ASM nor constitute endorsement by the association. The ASM disclaims any and all liabilities for damages to any individual attending CVS and for all claims which may result from the use of this information, publications, technologies, products, and/or services at CVS.
Claim Credits using ce.asm.org
- Keep your badge! You will need your registration confirmation number or badge ID to claim your credits.
- Login to the ASM CE Portal with your ASM Single Sign On (SSO) user name and password. If you do not have a user name and password, select the “Need Help Logging In?” link.
- Once logged in, you will be directed to your “My Activities” page.
- Click on the “Claim Credits for Live Meetings” button on the right side of the screen.
- Select “23rd Molecular Virology Workshop” from the Available Activities table.
- On the Activities Overview Page, scroll to the bottom of the page to enter your badge ID. The badge ID may be obtained from your printed badge or from your emailed confirmation letter.
- Select which session you attended and are claiming credits for. Choose what type of credit you would like to claim. The Clinical Virology Symposium offers four types of continuing education credit. Please choose the certificate that is applicable to your needs:
- Continuing Medical Education for physicians AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- Professional Acknowledgment for Continuing Education (P.A.C.E.®)
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS)
- Florida Clinical Laboratory Personnel
- Answer evaluation questions and submit.
DISCLOSURE: It is the policy of The France Foundation to ensure balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all its sponsored educational activities. All faculty, activity planners, content reviewers, and staff participating in CME activity will disclose to the participants any significant financial interest or other relationship with manufacturer(s) of any commercial product(s)/device(s) and/or provider(s) of commercial services included in this educational activity. The intent of this disclosure is not to prevent a person with a relevant financial or other relationship from participating in the activity, but rather to provide participants with information on which they can base their own judgments. The France Foundation has identified and resolved any and all conflicts of interest prior to the release of this activity. A listing of faculty disclosures will be made available at the start of each session.
The planners, reviewers, editors, staff, CME committee, or other members at The France Foundation who control content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.